Department of Physics and Centre for Energy Science
Indian Institute of Science Education and Research, Pune
Also, Adj. Professor DIAT, Pune
Positions held: Lecturer (1979-83), Reader (1983-88), Professor (1988-97) and Head of the Physics Department (1992-95) at the University of Poona, Pune, India. Also worked as the Coordinator, Center for Advanced Studies (CAS) in Materials Science and Solid State Physics and the Coordinator, Cell for Laser Materials Processing (C-LAMP), Department of Physics, University of Poona, Pune, India, Senior Research Scientist, University of Maryland, USA (1997-2006). CSIR-NCL (Ramanujan Fellow, Scientist F, G) 2006-2015, Currently, Professor, IISER, Pune.
Education: M.Sc. (1975, Poona University, India) – First Rank in the University.
Ph.D. (1980, Poona University, India) – Field : Ion Implantation.
Phones: 91 (20) 2590 8292 (office), 91-20-5435200 (Home), 91-9822 628242 (mobile)
Address: 128/1B, Plot 3A, Puskaraj, Shramik Sahakari Society, Kothrud, Pune
Date of Birth: July 24, 1953, Citizenship: India
Field of Research: Nanotechnology and Advanced Functional Materials, Solar energy and optoelectronics, Spintronics, Thin Films and Heterointerfaces, Self assembly and pattern formation
Materials systems: Metal oxides and sulphides, graphene and other forms of carbon, Low mensional systems, functional polymers
Publications: Over 400 research publications in International refereed journals including Nature (1), Science (3), Nature Materials (2), Nano Letters (1), Advanced Materials (5), Adv. Func. Mater. (2), Energy and Environ. Sci. (4), Green Chemistry (2), Phys. Rev. Letts. (11), Phys. Rev. B (30), Phys.Rev.E (2), Nanoscale (2), Chemistry of Materials (2), J. Mater. Chem. (8), JPCC (3), Dalton Trans. (2), PCCP (1), Phys.Rev.B (Rapid Commun.) (2), Appl. Phys. Lett. (66), etc. Also, several review articles/book contributions.
Edited a book on “Thin films and Heterostructures for Oxide Electronics” Springer, 2005. Ed. Satish Ogale.
Edited a book on “Functional Metal Oxides : New Science and Novel Applications”, Wiley-VCH, 2013, Satish Ogale (CSIR-NCL), T. Venkatesan (NUS) and M. Blamire (Cambridge) (Editors)
Written over 25 popular science articles in Regional Indian Language (Marathi) in most widely circulated newspaper in Maharashtra State in India titled “SAKAL”.
Professional: Worked as a Visiting Professor / Visiting Scientist at University of Maryland, College Park, U.S.A., University of Southern California, Los Angeles, U.S.A., Bellcore, Red New Jersey, U.S.A., FOM Institute Amsterdam, Institute for Nuclear Physics ( IN2P3), Lyon, University of Rouen, France.
Visited Japan, Germany, Belgium, Italy, USSR, France, UK, Egypt, Australia on scientific assignments and for conferences.
Past Member Editorial Board of Bulletin of Materials Science, and “Silicon”. Current Editorial board member (Physics) Scientific Reports (Nature Publishing Group). Editorial Advisory Board member, High impact contemporary journal Energy and Environmental Science and also ACS Applied Materials and Interfaces. Reviewer for Nature, Nature Materials, Advanced Materials, Phys. Rev. Letts., Energy and Environ. Sci., Nanoscale, ACS applied mater. Interfaces, JACS, Appl. Phys. Lett., Phys. Rev. B, Langmuir etc.
Projects: Successfully acquired and completed about 15 major research projects as a Principal Investigator at the University of Poona in India from 1980 to 1996. Performed Indo-French, Indo-US and Indo-Australian collaborative projects. PI of several sponsored projects at CSIR-NCL including Industry sponsored projects. Several Invited Talks at National and International conferences.
50 students have completed Ph.D. under the supervision of Dr. Ogale. Currently 15 students working in the research group.
Career Highlights (Awards, Honors and Recognition):
- First Rank in the entire Maharashtra state of India in the Secondary School Certificate examination (1969).
- First Rank in Poona University, India in the Pre-Professional (1971) and M.Sc.(1975) examinations. First Prize in Physics.
- Winner of the “Young Scientist Medal” of the Indian National Science Academy for Physics for 1985.
- Winner of the “Dr. N. S. Sathya Murthy” award of the Indian Physics Association and the Department of Atomic Energy for experimental Physics, 1987.
- Winner of the “MRSI Medal” of the Materials Research Society of India, 1990.
- Winner of the National award for superconductivity research – Award instituted by the Materials Research Society of India and the International conference (MRSI-ICSC) on Superconductivity, Bangalore, India, 1992.
- Winner of the M. Birla prize instituted by the Birla Science foundation, India, for outstanding research in Physics, 1992.
- Winner of the “Sir C. V. Raman Prize” of the Hari Om Trust and the University Grants Commission, India, for experimental Research, 1994.
- Elected Fellow of the Indian Academy of Sciences (FASc), 1992, Elected Fellow of the National Academy of Sciences, Allahabad (FNASc), 2010, Elected Fellow of the Maharashtra (state) Academy of Sciences, 1990,
- Selected as Ramanujan National Fellow of DST, Govt. of India, 2006-2011.
- Founder member : Materials Research Society of India and the Laser Society of India.
- NCL Scientist of the Year 2010, IBM-IUSSTF Fellow in Nanotechnology 2011.
- Winner of MRSI Special Silver Jubilee Medal for Materials Research, 2014